Our
History

As a school, one of our core values is to ask “Why not?” as we look to try new things and make progress, but we also have a rich history and heritage to look back on. Here’s a little bit of our story so far.

Since 1884

The Olderfleet school has been a part of Larne since 1884. Our name comes from the Viking name for Larne Lough, Ulfried’s Fjord. Over the centuries this has been recorded as Wulvricheford, Wolderfirth and Ulderfleet.

Our school started out as a single room building, grew to a five classroom school, and grew further again with two rooms in the playground. The development of the school at the harbour is once again a part of our history as Education Authority staff are currently exploring our expansion to 9 classrooms.

Care is in our DNA

“He maintains the best discipline associated with such kindness as wins the affections of his scholars.”

This was written about Henry Boyd, the second principal of Olderfleet (and Mrs Galbraith’s Great Great Granda) and this is still the heart of our school. Many of our parents/carers, staff and almost every member of our Board of Governors has a family connection to our school going right back to it’s beginning. We are keenly aware of the number of people who look back fondly on their time attending the school at the harbour. We’ll do all that we can to make sure our current children will have these memories too.

Our Timeline

1884

Olderfleet National School is opened on 29 July with Principal John Mathers. First Larne Presbyterian Church is responsible for the school until 1923.

1885

Henry Boyd is appointed as Principal having taught in Scotland and Larne & Inver.

1886

Henry Boyd dies at the young age of 34 on Boxing Day. Edward Young is appointed Principal in his place.

1922

William Yeats from Islandmagee is appointed as Principal. The Education (N.I.) Act is passed the following year.

1947

David Hawthorne becomes Principal. Two years later in 1949 the parent’s association is formed.

1950

A large wooden hut is constructed at the top of the playground for the younger children to use.

1953

Purchased two vacant houses east side and two vacant shops west side of school to allow for a bigger building.

1958

Pupils (including Mrs Godfrey’s mum) move to Parish and Methodist Halls while the new building is constructed.

1960

Pupils move in to new building in January with official opening in December.

1961

Sam Frame becomes Principal

1968

Two mobile classrooms are added to the top of the playground (in place of a climbing frame much to the disappointment of the children, including our governor Roy).

1975

A telephone line is installed and Billy Burns moves from Linn Primary to become our Principal (what a year!)

1990

During Billy Burns’ time (also Mrs Godfrey’s and Mrs Rodger’s time as pupils) there was no mandatory school uniform until the navy sweatshirt with the large OPS shield was introduced in 1990.

1997

Year 5 children design a badge for a school plaque. The badge portrays the relevance of being a seaport and the open book refers to learning.

1999

Audrey Stewart, a teacher in the school, becomes our Principal. The badge designed by the Year 5 children is added to the school sweatshirts in 2002.

2008

Robert McCombe becomes our Principal.

2018

Stephen Livingstone becomes our Principal. During this time the Olderfleet archived history collected by Irene McCarlie and Billy Burns is scanned and stored digitally.

2022

Ben Harvey, a teacher in our school becomes our Principal.

2023

Opening of the Hive Specialist Provision, set up by Emma Brownlees

2026

Rachel Galbraith becomes our Principal. The school council work with a designer to evolve the school badge for a digital first world.

Archive Sneak Peek

If you would like to see more from our archive or share some of your own pictures contact us here